High School Checklists
Use the checklist that corresponds with your school year to help you prepare for college and life after high school.
FRESHMAN YEAR CHECKLIST
- Identify challenging high school courses that are right for you and plot out your desired curriculum.
- Learn about clubs/organizations that may be of interest.
- Pay attention to events and types of leadership roles.
- Think about why you want to attend college.
- Be open to various career interests.
- Read and build vocabulary.
- Practice writing vignettes about your experiences.
SOPHOMORE YEAR CHECKLIST
- Continue with a rigorous curriculum; review grades, study skills.
- Take notes on colleges and points of interest.
- Register on college websites to be notified of visits in the area.
- Explore “job shadow” opportunities in areas of interest.
- Plan to run for office or assume a leadership role.
- Develop and implement a project to explore interests, skills, and talents.
- Use summer for SAT/ACT test prep.
- Pay attention to all of the points from freshman year, too.
JUNIOR YEAR CHECKLIST
- Select rigorous classes and maintain strong grades.
- Seek out and further develop leadership roles in various aspects of your life.
- Take the PSAT or PLAN in the fall, and possibly the SAT and ACT.
- Take the SAT and ACT by the beginning of and at the end of spring.
- Plan for a meaningful and productive summer.
- Pay attention to all the points from freshman and sophomore year.
SENIOR YEAR CHECKLIST
- Continue rigorous curriculum, possibly extending to local college.
- Apply for college EARLY in the fall, prior to Nov 1.
- Apply Early Action whenever possible (different from Early Decision).
- Meet college representatives through local visits, social media, and email.
- Seek out scholarships.
- BE AWARE OF ALL DEADLINES.
- Follow up on the receipt of applications, transcript, and test scores at each individual college.
- Attend “Accepted Student” events.
- Send your deposit and final transcript to your chosen college!