Riverview High School
Meet Your College Career Advisor
Meet Rebecca Lewis, our College Career Advisor at Riverview High School. She has been with the Education Foundation of Sarasota County for almost 2 years and brings over 10 years of experience in higher education (the University of South Florida, State College of Florida and New College) to RHS. When Mrs. Lewis isn’t in the Student Success Center, you can find her in the PIT at a local concert.
Click here to book an appointment with Ms. Lewis
Click to email Ms. Lewis
RHS Mission and History
To provide a learning environment that nurtures a passion for intellectual curiosity; promotes global understanding, independence, innovation; and that is committed to a tradition of academic excellence and social responsibility.
(RHS) is located on 51 acres in Sarasota, Florida. Riverview High School was established in 1958 and designed by renowned architect Paul Rudolph in 1958. The newly renovated campus, which is home to over 2,600 students and 140 teachers, is the largest in the school district.
- Campus features include an expansive interior courtyard, the second-largest auditorium in the city, and a beautiful river on the west end of campus.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Programme provides a rigorous regimen that prepares its candidates on an international rubric and prepares them for further education. A new IB Career Programme allows students the rigor of IB classes, with a focus on Engineering, International Business, Computer Programming, Marine Science, or Theatre Art.
- RHS Science department is home to the largest state-of-the-art digital stand-alone planetarium and an NRC licensed radiation lab. It also maintains a greenhouse and Aqua Dome, which provides thousands of elementary-aged students the opportunity to participate in the Stars to Starfish program.
- Additional RHS programs include Performance-Based Diploma Program, RHS Teen Parent Program, AP and Dual Enrollment Courses, World Language, Career Technical Education, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Exceptional Education, JROTC, Stars to Starfish, Executive Internships, in Hawaii in 2011, the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in New York in 2014, the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2016 and the Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2018.
RHS Signature Programs
- Advanced Placement (AP) courses require students to successfully perform college-level academic work including extensive reading and writing assignments.
- 17 AP courses are offered at RHS in the areas of English, Math, Science, World Languages, Social Studies and Art.
- Based on its challenge index rating (AP and IB enrollment), RHS is ranked as one of “America’s Best Schools” and was selected as one of the Washington Post’s “America’s Most Challenging High Schools” 2014.
PERFORMING & VISUAL ARTS
- The RPAC (Riverview Performing Arts Center) is a state-of-the-art theater facility that offers opportunities for students to perform in a variety of school productions.
- RHS has been recognized by the state of Florida as a Music Demonstration School for its award-winning music department.
- RHS offers a comprehensive visual arts program with 5 certified professionals specializing in 2D and 3D design.
- Students participate in many communities, state and national competitions with Scholastics and Education Foundation createSRQ winners each year.
KILTIE MARCHING BAND
- The internationally known Kiltie Band has been honored with consecutive superior ratings at the Florida Bandmasters Association marching music performance assessment for the past 55 years.
- The band has traveled and performed at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, the Hollywood Christmas parade in Los Angeles, the St. Patrick’s Day parade in Dublin, the 70th-anniversary ceremony of Pearl Harbor in Hawaii in 2011, the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in New York in 2014, the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2016 and the Chicago Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2018.
INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE (IB) PROGRAMME
- RHS IB consists of a Diploma Programme (DP) and a Career-Related Programme (CP). Both are offered as district magnet programs (preparatory IB, grades 9 & 10; IB DP & CP, grades 11 & 12) and emphasize approaches to teaching and learning that build critical thinking capacities, an engagement with service learning, and increasing awareness of global citizenship.
- IB Programmes are considered the best possible preparation for university studies and lifelong learning.
- 20 IB courses are offered at RHS.
- The RHS Executive Internship Program provides an opportunity for high school seniors to gain first-hand knowledge and experience in a professional career area working directly with an executive sponsor.
- Over 1,000 students and 725 community sponsors have participated in the 14-year-old program.
STUDENT SUCCESS CENTER (SSC)
- The Student Success Center is an extension of the Education Foundation of Sarasota County.
- The center provides students access to resources to improve readiness for college, career and life including personal advising, writing skills workshops, financial literacy courses, resume/interviewing skills classes and leadership development.