Become a Mentor
You can make a difference.
Do you remember a time when you tried to complete a project—or tried to make a sports team or the school play? Remember when you first tried to find a job? What if someone had been by your side, cheering you on, supporting you? What if that person had the experience to help you navigate the obstacles you faced?
Many promising students step away from their education because they fear they cannot navigate the journey alone. When facing challenges, many students don’t know where to turn for help. That’s where you come in. You can inspire a student and provide invaluable support.
Not every student who requests a mentor is considered at risk. Students who request mentors come from varying academic, socio-demographic, and economic backgrounds. Yet they all share a desire for a trusted advisor who will help as they navigate the unfamiliar terrain from high school to college or other career paths.
We believe that all children deserve to reach their full potential. By supporting a student in working toward a goal, communicating regularly and positively, listening in a non-judgmental way, and building a lasting relationship, you could help guide a young person to that pinnacle.
As a mentor, you will need to complete this process and meet these expectations:
- Submit an online mentor application.
- Attend a pre-screening interview.
- Pass a background screening.
- Be paired with a student.
- Attend mandatory mentor training.
- Maintain regular contact with the student and with our staff.
- Provide timely feedback to our mentoring manager.
- Follow our mentoring program requirements and expectations.
- Inspire students and give them hope.
Mentoring matters. You can make a profound, positive difference in the life of a young person.
Ready to become a mentor and make a difference? Contact Dr. Bianca Harris, Chief Program Officer.