COLLEGE CAREER LIFE READINESS
STUDENT SUCCESS CENTERS
The Education Foundation opened its first Student Success Centers (SSC) at North Port and Riverview high schools in Fall 2018. In 2019, we opened our third Student Success Center location at Sarasota High School. The on-campus centers provide students in grades 9-12 the opportunity to access postsecondary guidance and resources to prepare them for college, career and life. Staffed with full-time College Career Advisors, SSC services include:
- Access to Naviance college and career readiness platform that connects academic achievement to postsecondary goals
- College and career advising and explorations
- Workshops on writing college and career resumes
- Financial aid and financial literacy workshops
- ACT/SAT test prep
- Career speakers
- Building interviewing skills
- Developing leadership abilities
- Social-emotional skills such as self-awareness, self-management and responsible decision-making
LOCAL COLLEGE ACCESS NETWORK (LCAN)
A cross-sector collective impact model committed to increasing college and career readiness, access, and completion rates for students. EFSC assumed coordination of Sarasota’s LCAN in the Fall of 2018.
MENTORING & SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Helps students achieve career goals and postsecondary education by providing eligible students with a mentor and academic funding, staying with them through their postsecondary completion.
Middle and high school students visit local businesses and organizations to learn about various career pathways. Students complete hands-on activities and learn from professionals in their fields.
Middle school students visualize their future as college students by visiting local college and university campuses and interacting with current college students and professors.
Professionals, such as judges, CEOs, entrepreneurs, and engineers visit middle school classrooms to share their career journey and introduce students to potential career pathways.