COLLEGE CAREER LIFE READINESS
The Education Foundation is committed to empowering students to graduate with a purpose and pursue a postsecondary pathway. We recognize that students and families need additional support in order to create and sustain a college and career culture. We are boosting resources to prepare our students from kindergarten through high school for college and future careers.
STUDENT SUCCESS CENTERS
The Education Foundation opened its first Student Success Centers (SSC) at North Port and Riverview high schools in Fall 2018. The on-campus centers provide students in grades 9-12 the opportunity to access postsecondary guidance and resources to prepare them for college, career and life. Staffed with full-time College Career Advisors, SSC services include:
- Access to Naviance college and career readiness platform that connects academic achievement to postsecondary goals
- College and career advising and explorations
- Workshops on writing college and career resumes
- Financial aid and financial literacy workshops
- ACT/SAT test prep
- Career speakers
- Building interviewing skills
- Developing leadership abilities
- Social-emotional skills such as self-awareness, self-management and responsible decision-making
Middle and high school students visit local businesses and organizations to learn about various career pathways. Students complete hands-on activities and learn from professionals in their fields.
Middle school students visualize their future as college students by visiting local college and university campuses and interacting with current college students and professors.
Professionals, such as judges, CEOs, entrepreneurs, and engineers visit middle school classrooms to share their career journey and introduce students to potential career pathways.