Reports to: President & CEO
Work Location: Sarasota, FL
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the President & CEO, the Chief Development Officer is a dynamic and multi-tasking fundraising professional who serves on the senior leadership team as the primary team member responsible for the design, planning, and implementation of philanthropic strategies. This includes the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of various constituents resulting in stronger donor engagement and increased philanthropic revenue to support the Board’s strategic plan. The Chief Development Officer manages a team of fundraising professionals leading all aspects of fundraising initiatives with a positive professional attitude and strategic mindset.
The Chief Development Officer will uphold the mission of the Education Foundation of Sarasota County, which is to enhance the potential of students, promote excellence in teaching and inspire innovation in education, guided by strategic philanthropy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and launch a comprehensive fundraising program in support of the board’s strategic plan
- Lead the philanthropic efforts of the Foundation, working closely with the President & CEO and the Board to develop effective philanthropic strategies with identified goals and measurements of success
- Manage a personal portfolio of major gift prospects and donors
- Oversee all development operations, including the supervision/management of a team of fundraising professionals
- Monitor individual and team performance
- Cultivate planned giving relationships
- Stay abreast of emerging trends in philanthropy
- Write high-quality fundraising materials including proposals, presentations, reports, and donor correspondence
- Draft annual fundraising plan and upload annually to the Giving Partner profile
- Oversee creation and distribution of Annual Giving campaign mailing
- Create systems, processes, and timelines in support of moves management
- Work with the business office to ensure donor pledges and commitments are fulfilled
- Develop a deep knowledge of donor giving through Raiser’s Edge data and metrics
- Maintain donor records in Raiser’s Edge; ensure development team is proficient in Raiser’s Edge and create systems to improve donor record-keeping and measurements of performance
- Ensure grant applications, deadlines, reports, and acknowledgments have adhered
- Prepare materials for board committee meetings in concert with President/CEO and External Affairs Committee Chair
- Record and distribute minutes for board external affairs committee meetings
- Provide monthly progress reports to the President and Board of Directors related to established fundraising goals and metrics
- Work with team on any other duties/activities as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required (Master’s or CFRE designation preferred).
- Minimum 10 years of nonprofit, fundraising experience with increasing responsibilities (Demonstrated success working at a community foundation, higher education, and/or high performing nonprofit is a plus).
- Proven ability to drive results with demonstrated evidence of exceeding performance goals.
- Ability to lead teams leveraging individual strengths and effective strategies.
- Possess broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising and the ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
- Demonstrated track record in individual gift fundraising, including experience closing gifts of $100,000+.
- Understanding of the principles and vehicles of Planned Giving.
- Strong listening skills, strong oral and written communication skills, sophisticated interpersonal and relationship-building skills, and proficient in standard office software.
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge.
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities with competing deadlines.
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position with benefits. Salary range is $100,000-125,000.