Education Roundtable Talk | Immersive Education
February 11 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
Sponsored by: Equitable
This Education Roundtable Talk will focus on the full immersion schoolwide concept and experience. Dr. Mitch Ruzek and Dr. Dana Zeidler, science professors at the University of South Florida – Tampa, will show participants how to create engaging inquiry through a tailored cross-curricular experience that meets the needs of all students. Participants will explore the Immersive Academics process as well as open inquiry, and they will engage in an inquiry-based investigation like what students experience through immersive education! They will also learn about the grant application process and next steps to apply.
Teachers and schools who have previously participated in an immersive experience through the Education Foundation grant are encouraged to participate as Dana and Mitch will discuss a range of virtual immersion opportunities for schools. Any new teacher or school interested in applying for an immersive grant through the Education Foundation are also encouraged to attend this event.
Their Mission: Immersive Academics is an educational consulting group dedicated to enriching the academic experience of children so they may reach the full measure of their educational potential. Our approach is grounded in engaging inquiry and focused on a tailored curriculum designed to meet the needs of the schools we work with, drawing from science, mathematics, the creative arts, social sciences, language arts, physical education, and other domains of knowledge important to human understanding. In this manner, we are able to foster heightened levels of academic engagement, develop natural inquiry skills, and better model authentic scientific habits of mind applicable to everyday life skills.
Collaborations with Schools and Teachers: We worked with teachers and administrators to generate novel approaches to lessons that are typically covered during the time period of the “immersive event” designed to engaged students in a variety of scenarios with cross-curricular connections. We also suggest lessons and pedagogical approaches that could be implemented in place of, or in addition to, conventional approaches to the topics at-hand. In providing this degree of focused and specialized attention, we help to ensure that participating teachers are very much part and parcel to the creative process in helping to shape appropriate student outcomes.
“Whole School” and “Whole Child” Approach: Our immersive academic scenarios generally involve engaging an entire school across grade levels and/or academic disciplines. One of our primary goals is to break down artificial barriers that tend to “silo” learning into discrete areas. To date, we have worked with thousands of students and hundreds of teachers across all content areas. According, we stress:
- Wide reaching scenarios that inherently create collaboration and interdisciplinary educational opportunities.
- Campus-wide collaboration creating a culture of learning that becomes infectious and self-sustaining from classroom to classroom, lunchrooms, bus rides and kitchen tables.
- College and career readiness and preparedness that dovetails nicely at all school levels tapping potential professions and academic foci that can seamlessly be woven into scenario narratives.
- Exceptional professional development, and teacher training in a constructive professionally monitored environment allowing teachers to excel in inquiry teaching styles that are often overlooked in traditional teacher preparation programs.
- Social, moral and emotional components that can be readily woven into scenarios in a real-world impactful manner.
Who They Are and Contact Information: Drs. Mitch Ruzek and Dana Zeidler are science educators from the University of South Florida – Tampa. Contact information is: email@example.com
Please Investigate For Yourself At Our Website: https://immersiveacademicsedu.com
- Participants may sign up for multiple Education Roundtable Talks
- Roundtable talks will be held at the Education Foundation’s LaunchPad4U located at 1413 Blvd. of the Arts in Sarasota.
- Refreshments and drinks will be provided during the event.
- There will be a teacher raffle for a mini classroom grant valued at $250.00.