The Sarasota Retired Educators Association (SREA) awards scholarships in the amount of $500-$1000 (depending on funds raised), to graduating seniors who wish to become teachers in Florida.
Scholarship recipients may attend any accredited public or private community college, a four‑year college or university, provided that their programs are consistent with the goal of becoming a qualified teacher. The recipient will be expected to teach in a state-accredited public or private school in Florida for at least one year, following graduation.
- Must be a GRADUATING HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR IN 2022, OR A PREVIOUS YEAR’S RECIPIENT WHO IS CURRENTLY ATTENDING COLLEGE.
- Ability to relate to and work with people of all ages.
- Academic aptitude and achievement.
- Commitment to service, with special interest in teaching children and youth.
- Economic need
- Emphasis is placed on SAT and/or ACT scores. The minimum score for SAT is 1,000 or above (Reading and Math sections) or ACT is 22 or above.
- Participation and leadership in school and community activities.
- Poise and ability to communicate effectively.