The Sarasota LIONS Club will offer four renewable scholarships to graduating seniors who plan to enter a technical school, a community college or a 4-year college. One student will be selected from Sarasota High School, Riverview High School, Booker High School and a fourth from other Sarasota County public, private or Charter high schools. The amount of the award is $1,000 per academic school year and renewable each year up to 4 years ($4,000 max paid directly to college).
The scholarship will be based on FINANCIAL NEED, GRADES, LEADERSHIP, COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES and a PERSONAL/FAMILY HISTORY OF EYE ISSUES OR DISABILITY as determined by the Scholarship Committee of the Lions Club.
- Student applicants are required to write a short (100 word) essay as part of the application process outlining their field of interest and reason for choosing.
- Two recommendations are required preferably from the head of a volunteer organization outlining the unique personality characteristics or accomplishments of the student and/or from a student’s employer. Recommendations from a teacher or guidance counselor are also encouraged. A friend, neighbor or family member is NOT an appropriate reference.
- A 2.5 or higher GPA is required.
- Students must submit the FAFSA financial statement to justify financial need.
- Community involvement and/or work experience is required.
- There are no restrictions as to the major, but preference may be given to students who pursue a career in eye sight, hearing and/or disabilities.
- The application, including the required materials are to be sent by the student by March 1st to: Sarasota LIONS Club. P.O. Box 51207, Sarasota, Fl 34232