The scholarship is available to all female students who will receive a high school diploma from Sarasota County in 2023. A minimum of 3.0 GPA, United States citizenship and permanent Florida residency are required. Additional award considerations include financial need, test scores, community involvement, extracurricular activities, work experience, and demonstrated leadership. Scholarship payments will be issued directly to an accredited school of higher education upon 2023 enrollment. The scholarship is $5,000, and recipients may apply for a one-time renewal. Scholarship funds can be used for tuition, board & room, fees and books. The funds are divided equally between the two semesters.
Applications must be postmarked by January 27, 2023. Hand delivered applications will not be accepted. Scholarship award recipients will be notified by April 1, 2023.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the OWC Scholarship Committee receives the following information:
• Application form completed in full (4 pages)
• Current transcript and ACT/SAT results with an official school seal in a sealed envelope
• Copy of parents’ complete 2021 IRS tax return(s) (including all schedules), noting any recent change in financial situation (with redacted social security numbers)
• Business owner: Complete 2021 IRS business tax return
• FAFSA or CSS profile
• A separate financial needs statement written by applicant or parent/guardian
• Two (2) letters of recommendation from individuals who know the applicant:
– One (1) letter from a teacher/guidance counselor/principal AND
– One (1) letter from an employer, a community leader, or volunteer supervisor.
• An essay of approximately 500 words describing student’s self and goals
• All of the above-listed information must accompany the Application Form to qualify it for review/consideration.