ALSO Youth Betsy Nelson Scholarship
Deadline: March 31, 2023
ALSO Youth scholarships provide financial support and encouragement to LGBTQ+ youth, who are seeking to attend a continuing education institution in the field of their choice. This is a Merit/Needs-based Scholarship (open to all applicants regardless of immigration status). Formerly known as the ALSO Youth scholarship, the ALSO Youth Betsy Nelson Scholarship honors one of the founding members.
- Be an LGBTQ+ youth under the age of 22 as of August 1st of the year of application.
- Be a resident of Sarasota or Manatee counties.
- Be enrolled at an accredited non-profit academic or vocational institution in the summer or fall of the year of application.
Scholarship applicants must submit the following to ALSO Youth by the deadline posted on ALSO’s website:
- A completed application form. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Transcript(s) of grades for the applicant’s most recently completed coursework. This may include high school transcripts, GED score report or any postsecondary transcripts.
- Two recommendation forms from non-related adults such as instructors, employers or mentors.
- An up-to-date, typed resume.
- A one-to-two page typed personal statement expressing why the applicant is applying for the scholarship, leadership positions or involvement in LGBTQ+ advocacy, their school GSA or Diversity Club, or ALSO Youth, and the applicant’s educational and career goals.
The Executive Committee of the Board of ALSO Youth will consider the following when selecting scholarship recipients:
- Academic achievement.
- Financial need.
- Finalists may be required to attend a personal interview with the selection committee.
- Proof of enrollment or letter of acceptance will be required prior to checks being released.
- Scholarship funds are paid directly to the recipient’s school and are designated for tuition, required fees, books, and supplies only.
- Multiple scholarships will be awarded, with $500 being the minimum award.
- All applicants must submit these materials by March 31, 2023.
ALSO Youth Scholarship Application
What high schools does this scholarship apply to? All
Number of Available Awards: Varies
Scholarship Criteria: Merit-based, need-based
Scholarship Location: Local
Minimum SAT Score:
Minimum ACT Score:
Is the scholarship renewable? No
How to Renew:
Is an essay required? Yes
Are service hours required? No
1470 Blvd of the Arts
Student Groups: LGBTQ+ youth