Dr. Lionel E. McMurren Scholarship
Alpha Phi Alpha Foundation of Manasota, Inc.
Deadline: April 15, 2023
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., is the oldest African American intercollegiate fraternity in the nation, founded in 1906. The scholarship program is named in memory of Alpha Brother Dr. Lionel E. McMurren, a renowned educator who established our Chapter scholarship program. Seven one-thousand-dollar scholarships are awarded to deserving African American or Hispanic male high school seniors in Manatee or Sarasota counties yearly.
- Must be a senior student enrolled in a Manatee or Sarasota County high school.
- Must be an African American or Hispanic Male.
- Must complete the application online by 4/15/23 (incomplete or late applications will not be accepted).
- Must provide a transcript, resume, essay, quality photo, and permission to use his name and publicize being a scholarship recipient with the application.
- Must provide one reference from a school counselor and one recommendation from a teacher.
- The resume must include evidence of leadership through work, school, or community service. The essay should include the need for financial assistance.
- Must present proof of admission into a two- or four-year college or Technical/ Trade School in the US for the upcoming fall semester prior to receiving the award.
*Visit website to apply online
What high schools does this scholarship apply to? All
Number of Available Awards: 7
Scholarship Criteria: Minority, gender, need-based
Scholarship Location: Local
Minimum SAT Score:
Minimum ACT Score:
Is the scholarship renewable? No
How to Renew:
Is an essay required? Yes
Are service hours required? No
7282 55th Ave East PMB 188
Ethnic Background: African-American or Hispanic
Ethnicity: African-American or Hispanic
Residency: Manatee or Sarasota Counties