POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Development is a dynamic and multi-tasking fundraising professional who is responsible for securing significant revenue for the Education Foundation of Sarasota County. The Director of Development will be expected to develop dynamic fundraising strategies focused on engaging, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding an assigned portfolio of donors as well as developing new prospects. The Director of Development will work independently and collaboratively as part of the Development Team.
The Director of Development will uphold the mission of the Education Foundation of Sarasota County, which is to enhance the potential of students, promote excellence in teaching and inspire innovation in education, guided by strategic philanthropy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish major donor-giving strategies that focus on engaging existing donors and identifying, qualifying, and engaging new prospects.
- Establish personal relationships with major donors, identifying their interests and articulating programmatic aspects of the Education Foundation’s work that would appeal to them.
- Leverage individual donor relationships to expand and deepen giving from connected individuals.
- Personally solicit a specific portfolio of 100-200 prospects, with an emphasis on leadership-level annual gifts as well as multi-year pledges.
- Work with a portfolio to deepen relationships and encourage Planned Giving opportunities.
- Partner with Education Foundation CEO in managing her donor relationships as needed.
- Work with and support the Board of Directors with cultivation and stewardship of particular donors.
- Plan and execute introductory or cultivation events for donors and prospects as agreed upon with the Education Foundation’s Interim Chief Development Counsel.
- Develop strong funding proposals with Education Foundation Chief Program Officer and staff.
- Attend local fundraising events, business meetings, and networking opportunities to establish and develop contacts in specified communities.
- Track and manage the prospective donor pool to develop weekly update reports and monitor and evaluate program results.
- Maintain strong records in the Education Foundation’s database, Raiser’s Edge.
- The successful candidate will participate in strategy meetings regarding plans to increase philanthropic funding and the number of donors to the Education Foundation of Sarasota County.
- Become an expert on the Education Foundation of Sarasota County and Sarasota County Schools, continually finding ways to increase personal knowledge.
- Work with team on any other duties/activities as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college required (Master’s or CFRE designation preferred).
- Minimum five years of major gift experience. (Demonstrated success with capital campaigns a plus).
- Possess broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising and the ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
- Demonstrated track record in individual gift fundraising, including experience closing gifts of $50,000+.
- Understanding of the principles and vehicles of Planned Giving.
- Experience in corporate fundraising is highly desirable.
- Strong listening skills, strong oral and written communication skills, sophisticated interpersonal and relationship-building skills, and proficient in standard office software.
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge.
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities with competing deadlines.
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position with benefits. Salary range is $75,000 – $90,000.