The vision of the Education Foundation of Sarasota County is to unite the community to prepare each and every student for life. That in and of itself is a lofty goal, and even more so today as issues surrounding education have become so polarizing. Quite simply, the waters have become harder to navigate, yet with our steadfast focus on students and teachers, I believe we can still come together, collectively, collaboratively, and cooperatively in pursuit of a common purpose.
It seems the current narrative is focused more on the “how” and “what,” whereas starting with the “why” may help remind us about the common ground we share. For instance, if we can all agree we want to get from point A to point B, let’s articulate that together so that we are bound together with a common goal and a shared vision.
At the Education Foundation, we are singularly focused on supporting students and teachers. Our work is undergirded by timeless principles that guide us:
- We believe education changes lives.
- We believe all children deserve to reach their full potential.
- We believe in creating brighter futures for our children.
- We believe in leading in education innovations by taking calculated risks.
- We believe a vibrant and prosperous community is dependent upon the value its community members place on high-quality education.
- We believe an investment in a child’s education is the best investment anyone can make.
These beliefs underpin everything we do. They are our “why.” And I believe that they represent areas of common ground, which are so essential today.
In the days to come, the waters may get choppier, the seas higher, and the uncertainty may seem uncomfortable, and even frightful, yet when we all row in the same direction, we can overcome even the most turbulent oceans.
Addressing the complex issues facing students and teachers will require a unified, multifaceted, sustained approach. The health of our community and the ability of the next generation to reach its full potential depend upon it.
So, let’s hear from you!
What is our common ground? What is the purpose of education? Please send us your thoughts and responses.